Glanmore’s Original Residents
The Phillips Family
Glanmore, located in Belleville, Ontario, was built in 1882 – 1883 for wealthy banker John Philpot Curran Phillips and wife Harriet Dougall Phillips.
John Philpot Curran Phillips was involved with numerous banks and loan companies. For many years he was the manager of the Hastings Loan and Investment Bank. In 1907 Phillips established and became the manager of the local branch of the United Empire Bank of Canada.
Harriet Dougall was the daughter a prominent local judge Benjamin Dougall. She was a direct descendant of United Empire Loyalists: Captain John Meyers, the founder of Belleville, and John Richard Bleecker. She inherited part of the Bleecker property, on which Glanmore was later built, from her grandmother. Harriet was a talented artist who created portraits and paintings of romantic figures, some of which continue to be displayed at Glanmore.
John P.C. Phillips and Harriet Dougall were married in 1863. They had one son, Percy, born in 1865. Percy died at the age of 3. The Phillips lived in Kingston at the time of Percy’s death.
In 1896, fourteen-year-old Jessie Patterson came to live at Glanmore. Jessie was the daughter of James Patterson, a local labourer. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips did not formally adopt Jessie but treated her as if she was their child and she assumed their surname. Jessie attended school at the Convent of the Holy Name in Hochelaga, Quebec for six years. Upon her return to Glanmore, she had a lively social life.
In 1916, Jessie married Belleville businessman Sandford Burrows and together they made Glanmore their home. Their two daughters, Philippa and Sheila were raised at Glanmore. Philippa married George Faulkner, a Belleville physician, and raised their children Ann and George (Sandy) at Glanmore. The family remained in the house until 1971 when Glanmore was sold to become a museum.