Welcome to Glanmore
National Historic Site
Belleville’s Community Museum
Glanmore National Historic Site is proud to serve as Belleville’s Community Museum. The museum’s regional collection features artifacts reflecting the history of the Belleville region. Where possible, artifacts related to local history are incorporated into the restored rooms of the historic house as well as in the homestead display in the lower level. Glanmore also highlights local history at satellite exhibits such as the Loyalty, Tradition and Progress exhibit on display at Belleville Fire Headquarters and the Sir Mackenzie Bowell exhibit on display at Belleville City Hall.
National Historic Site of Canada
Glanmore National Historic Site, was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1969 in recognition of its exceptional 2nd Empire architecture.
Glanmore was built in 1882-1883 for wealthy banker J.P.C. Phillips (1842-1912) and his wife Harriet Dougall Phillips (1839-1915). The grand interior features beautiful hand-painted ceilings and ornate woodwork. Many of Glanmore’s rooms have been restored to the 1890s. They feature period room displays containing some original furnishings as well as beautiful objects from the Couldery Collection.
The museum cares for an extensive collection of antique furniture, paintings and ceramics. Local history is highlighted in Glanmore’s lower level, and includes the Early Homestead exhibit and Maid of All Work: Domestic Service at Glanmore.
The Museum is open to the public six days a week and offers a wide variety of programs and activities for schools and the general public. Guided and self-guided tours are available year-round.
Be sure to visit Glanmore’s gift shop, located in the reception room, for a selection of candies, reproduction toys, hand-made gifts, books, museum souvenirs and more.
Glanmore National Historic Site opened as a museum in 1973. Glanmore is owned by the City of Belleville and operated by the Recreation Culture and Community Services Department. Glanmore also receives funding from the Ontario Ministry of Culture.